Wednesday, November 07, 2007

Soap warts?

INSCITIA:

Or should I call them soaplactites?

I'm talking about the way soap, left sitting in a moist place, gradually produces little bumps on its surface. I can't explain this. I failed Soapology in college. I don't know anything about the chemical structure of soap and I'm not inclined to google my way to wisdom. But here's my gambit at climbing Mt. Ignorance (scandendare mons inscitiae … or is it mountin' ignorance?).

COGITATIO:

Moisture in the air settles on the soap and softens tiny rivulets around areas that happen to be slightly harder, less soluble, than other areas. The softer areas dissolve away, flowing to some other patch of the some, even if only micrometers away, and the harder nodes are left as soaplactites. I suspect some mathematician could describe this phenomenon with chaos theory or some kind of fractal analysis. But what do I know?

RESPONSUM:

No comments: